Wednesday, March 20, 2013

the post office and another example of rudeness

Today, our letter carrier (I used to call him a mailman, but since some are women, I guess I could call him a mail person), parked on the street, right in back of a sign that said "NO PARKING HERE TO CORNER" in spite of the fact that the rest of the street was empty.  I saw him, stopped him, and asked him if he could please not park there in the future.  You would not believe his attitude.  He became defensive and said that he had to park there because he had to take care of the whole street.  He said that he would park wherever he wanted because he had a job to do.  He did not say that it was an "important" job, just a job.

I don't know why he was in such a hurry.  I remember the "good old days" when mail was delivered by walkers, not riders.  Occasionally, the letter carriers had 3-wheeled carts that held the mailbag and they pushed the carts.  They never ever rode.  And they never, ever drove these great big trucks - should I call them gas guzzlers?

I reported the incident to the postmaster general of the United States.  I hope that the letter carriers, especially the ones who drive, will get mandatory lessons in courtesy and some lessons in reading and understanding the English language - that "NO PARKING" means just that - no parking.


No comments:

Post a Comment