Saturday, March 17, 2012

Gefilte Chicken and the London School of Economics

When our children were in college, we encouraged them to bring their friends home for the holidays. Our Passover Seder usually resembled a League of Nations. We had guests from Germany, Bangladesh, England, Italy, Canada, Denmark, and of course, our three children. One year, we had a mother of one of the students, she was a professor at the London School of Economics.

We ran a semi-traditional Seder - at one point, we eliminated all gender references and no one even seemed to notice let alone care. (The four sons became the four children.)

I cooked a traditional array of food, but, I noticed that no one seemed to really relish the gefilte fish, at all. And, since I could never eat it (or anything that swam or kept company with swimmers), I decided to make something that I would and could enjoy. I took my mother's traditional gefilte fish recipe and substituted white meat chicken for the fish. What a success! I served it with horse raddish and the guests even asked for seconds.

Time passed. We saw the Bangladesh guests a while later. He said that he was in New York, walked into a Jewish Deli, saw the gefilte fish, and his mouth started to water. "I asked them for gefilte chicken. They looked at me like I had two heads. They said that there was no such thing. I told them that yes there was, it was delicious, I ate it, and I have not been able to find it anywhere since."

Talk about starting new traditions!

No comments:

Post a Comment