Sunday, February 12, 2012

My comments from nytimes.com

Selma Davis
Bala Cynwyd, PA

In 1961, I was notified that I won an NIMH fellowship for graduate school. I just had to let them know where I was going. I was still attending the University of Pennsylvania and had applied for admission to their graduate program in psychology. During my interview, the men had the nerve to say to me - you're a girl. You're just going to get married and have children. Why should we give the place to you when you're not going to use your degree?

My answer - because I am smarter than any of the BOYS who applied.

I got my MA in psychology in 1962 from Penn, and was married in December 1962. And we have been happily married for more than 49 years. We have 3 accomplished and successful children and 7 beautiful grandchildren.

Meanwhile, I have written and published 4 crime novels that take place in Hawaii; won an award for journalism (1st place for a feature article from the Pennsylvania newspaper association); and wrote the English language summaries for the "psychopharmacology and drug abuse" section of what started out as Medline in 1968 and the years that followed until the grant ran out.

No comments:

Post a Comment