Tuesday, May 24, 2011

cell phones and other things

We watched Morning Joe this morning, as usual, and were delighted to hear Mika Brezinski say, or should I say complain, that her parents both have cell phones but they keep them turned off. Hooray for Dr. Zbignew Brezinski.

I keep my cell phone turned off and my children and grandchildren don't understand. I refuse to be leashed to anyone. I'm 71 years old and I am my own boss. My adult, successful, intelligent children keep their cell phones permanently attached to their ears. We don't. Our grandchildren text a lot but never seem to answer the ring when we call. We leave messages and sometimes we get an answer, and sometimes we don't.

When we got a cell phone, we determined that it would be for our convenience - and for emergencies. It's always within easy reach when we drive but still turned off. And we use it when necessary, when we travel.

I still don't understand the attraction of twitter. Who really cares what I do every minute? Besides Edgar, of course. And he knows.

In spite of the "for your safety" laws, people still talk on their hand held phones while driving - and get warnings and still text while driving, keeping their cell phones in their laps where, they think, no one will notice. Reminds me of the time one of our grandchildren, who was 3 years old at the time, emptied some bath water on the bathroom floor and then, in response to a "What did you do?" Answered "I didn't think you would notice." But that was a 3-year old's perception, not an adult's.

One of the biggest offenders that I heard admit his indiscretions is Al Morganti, a regular on the WIP morning show. He has admitted to other wrong doings - taking statues from the manger decorations at Christmas time and putting them on the lawns of Jewish families. He laughed when he told the story. I don't see anything funny about that.

He also admitted to stealing from his Ice Hockey team by selling one sticker for $10.00 and selling the 9 others for a dollar each and pocketing the $9.00.

Morganti admits that he doesn't see the value of homework. He calls it "busy work." Does that put him in the same category as Iverson and his famous "Practice?"

Anyone who has ever played a musical instrument or participated in an athletic event knows the benfit of repetition.

No comments:

Post a Comment