Saturday, April 9, 2011

Enthusiasm of youth

We were watching the TV show CHAOS. Our taste in television viewing does not usually include the intellectual shows. We like to be entertained and amused. Our thinking is reserved for books, magazines, newspapers, etc. During the show, one of the characters said, to the effect, we will exit to the trombones. That reminded us of one of our trips in an elevator. Enjoying the ride down, to the beach in Honolulu, a darling little boy was singing "la cucaracha" with energy, enthusiasm, rhythm, and musicality. We encouraged him, and by the end of the ride, we were lucky the elevater didn't crash because all the passengers were dancing and the little boy was beaming.

Isn't it a shame that we lose our youthful enthusiasm and worry about what "they" will think. In an effort to reduce the pain in my back and leg, associated with spinal stenosis, I take very long strides. Surprisingly, that works. I happened upon this by accident. Again, we were in Honolulu, trying to walk to a golf supply store in the Ala Moana Mall. I could take no more than 5 steps without having to stop and rest because of the excruciating pain. My intention was to buy a 3-legged portable chair, carry it with me, and sit down when I had to. At the rate we were walking, 5 steps and stop and rest and 5 steps more and stop and rest some more, I thought, it will take forever to get there. Then I thought, well, if I take steps as long as I can, at least I will cover more ground with those 5 steps. And, luckily I found I could take many more steps without having to stop because of pain. In fact, we walked all the way to the mall (from Lewers St.) without pain and without having to stop. We bought the golf chair and, believe it or not, I have not had to open it since I own it.

I shared my "long stride" relief with friends, and to my amazement, they all asked, don't people stop and look at you. It must look funny. I couldn't believe their comments and how much they say they are governed by what "they" think. I can't name three people who would care how I looked when I walked and if anyone noticed, it would be fleeting. People, as a rule, are involved in their own lives. They don't look, don't notice, and really don't care what anybody else does as long as their own lives are not disturbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment